24 / Life Saving Dogs
#24 – This issue honours the life-saving dogs of the world, because dogs are so much more than just man’s best friend.
Was this email forwarded to you? Subscribe here!
Hey Dog Dad!
Dogs are known for their loyalty, companionship, and affection. But did you know that dogs can also save lives? From search and rescue operations to detecting medical conditions, dogs have proven time and again that they are more than just man's best friend.
Search and rescue dogs are trained to find and locate missing persons in a variety of situations, such as natural disasters, wilderness searches, and urban areas. These dogs are highly skilled and can detect scents from miles away, making them invaluable assets in emergency situations.
Medical detection dogs are another type of life-saving dog. These dogs are trained to detect specific scents that are associated with certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, seizures, and cancer. By alerting their owners or handlers to these scents, these dogs can help prevent medical emergencies or provide early detection of illnesses.
Service dogs are also instrumental in saving lives. These dogs are trained to assist people with disabilities, such as blindness, deafness, or mobility impairments. They can help their owners navigate through the world, perform everyday tasks, and provide emotional support.
As dog dads, we are fortunate to have such amazing and intelligent animals in our lives. Given the devastating earthquake that struck Turkey this month, let's take a moment to appreciate and honour the life-saving dogs that have made a difference in our world – and Turkey.
Mexico Search and Rescue Dogs
This month Turkey suffered the worst earthquake in many years. To aid the rescue efforts, the world united in the relief efforts. Mexico sent their famed search and rescue dogs to help look for people buried under rubble.
UK Search and Rescue Dogs
The UK government sent a team of 77 search and rescue specialists, including 4 search and rescue dogs to join the relief efforts in Turkey.
Hero Dogs during Disaster Rescue Missions
In search missions for trapped people, dogs account for 70%of the search effort and human rescuers the remaining 30%.
From the blog
So many bad tweets. This is one of the good ones.
- Dog Dad 101: Practical and helpful advice, training tips, nutrition, and more!
- Pawsome Products: Bulldog-tested and dog dad-approved dog products
- Newsletter: All previous issues of the weekly newsletter
- Resources: My favourite dog products, tech, apps, and books
- About: Find out why I started Furrimals
Enjoy this newsletter?
Forward to a friend, sharing is caring.
Leave a comment and join the conversation.
Support our community! Become a paid subscriber for £3/month or £30/year – upgrade here.