Recession Planning 101 for Dog Dads
Issue #15 – saving costs as a dog dad, dog emoji challenge, Chihuahua as a bookkeeper, and scoops more.
The Bank of England has suggested the UK is heading into a recession later this year. And for dog owners that can be a terrifying thought.
Even though there's much uncertainty, there are a few steps you can take right now to best equip you for the potentially bumpy road ahead.
Some of the following tips are borrowed from the Money Saving Expert website, some are my own.
- Understand your cashflow. Dogs can be expensive. How much money are you bringing in and spending each month? Do you have any buffer?
- Look for ways to save on costs. Are you paying for subscriptions you barely use? Are there upcoming events you could skip?
- Buy in bulk. Look out for offers on your next shop and consider buying in bulk while it's cheaper.
- Walk your own dog. If you're paying someone to walk your dog consider whether this is worthwhile. Granted some owners can't if they're working from the office, but can you make the time to do it yourself?
- Shop around. Make sure you compare prices before buying. Speak to a vet or store colleague to make sure you get the right equipment, but then shop online it's often cheaper.
Golden Retriever Takes on the Emoji Challenge
The Instagram video taken by the owner of a Golden Retriever named Lady is quickly gaining virality. The dog hilariously reenacts the four emoticons: expressionless face, grinning squinting face, pleading face and Ogre emoji. Let me know how well Lady did.
Taxi Man has a Chihuahua for a Bookkeeper
A lady catching a taxi to work was pleasantly surprised by the Chihuahua who upon hearing his owner's fingers click jumped into action to collect the taxi fare. Genius.
Should You Pet Your Dog Before Leaving the House?
To reduce dog separation anxiety some dog behaviourists suggest not petting your dog as you walk out the door. Although this article has a different view on the matter.
Money Saving Expert has an awesome guide on how to budget appropriately for dogs, and with the impending recession on its way, now is a great time to read this hidden but valuable gem.
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” – Will Rogers
So many bad tweets. These are the good ones. Follow @furrimalsHQ on Twitter for extra content.
- Dog Dad 101: Practical and helpful advice, training tips, nutrition, and more!
- Newsletter: All previous issues of the weekly newsletter
- Resources: My favourite dog products, tech, apps, and books
- About: Find out why I started Furrimals
Enjoy this newsletter? 💛
Forward to a friend and let them know they can subscribe here.
Anything else? Hit reply and send me feedback or say hello.
Become a supporter! Help fund my work and make it accessible to the world – upgrade here.